Thursday 10 November 2011

The all-important auntie


My favourite desi place to eat in Seattle is a place called Chillis. The Mallu/Tam combination that runs it,  works out perfectly for the Mallu/Tam combo that we are. I can indulge the Madras in me when I feel like a change, and H gets to taste Kerala, one different bite at a time.

The best part however about going there is the 'Auntie' who runs the place. How easily we fall into calling her that, just like all aunties back home who we meet for the first time or have known our entire lives. She is hilarious, talkative, and like many an auntie, inquisitive. Take for example our last visit there. She touched my tummy, rolled her eyes like a kathakali dancer, and asked "Mmm? Vella news undo?"("Any news?") with a cheeky grin.

I wonder how I would have reacted if it was home. I might have itched to slap her across the face. I laughed it off instead as thanks for the meenvattichadu and kappa (tapioca and fish curry) that made me melt away into many a kitchen in Kochi. Mmmmmm.

I shall be back. When I want to eat a piece of home, or just hear it in her chatter and chuckles.


No comments:

Post a Comment